Generative visuals - TOUCHDESIGNER intro
13 & 14 Oct 2018
This intensive 12 hours introduction workshop introduces participants to the creation of interactive visuals with TouchDesigner. This Canadian software is internationally known as a reference when producing high level interactive visuals and has been adopted as much by artists than by creators for large scale commercial projects such as the set of Gravity or the set of an interactive Yves Saint Laurent fashion show.
Participants will learn the software’s interface, discover its different tools, how to use video, images and 3D geometry, how to use mathematics, and will touch on the integration of interactive control interfaces, all through various practical exercises and small projects.
A follow-up intermediate course is offered on the following weekend.
ABOUT TOUCHDESIGNER :
Created by the Toronto-based Derivative, TouchDesigner is a platform for the development of generative, interactive, programmed and performative visuals. Offering tools for creating interactive media systems, architectural projection mapping, live visuals for music, or still simply quick prototypes for creative projects, TouchDesigner’s versatility and its active user community have made it one of the most used software for creating digital, interactive, performative or media art, by independent artists as well as by companies creating large scale productions such as Moment Factory or nVoid.
WORKSHOP OBJECTIVES & COURSE CONTENT
- Learn the user interface ;
- Discover the family of operators (TOP, CHOP, SOP, DAT, COMP) ;
- Use video, images and 3D geometry ;
- Use mathematics ;
- Learn how to integrate interactive control interfaces such as Kinect (camera), Leap Motion (hand movement) or other types of controllers ;
- Use OSC, MIDI or ArtNet to connect to other software and external control interfaces ;
- Discover examples of creative productions using the software ;
- Learn through exercises and small projects.
He’s a new media artist and co-founder of Création Ex Nihilo (interactive art, immersion, AI, app, mapping, 3D; Nuit Blanche, MUTEK, PQDS, SAT, Place-des-arts). He is now the technical director for research and development at Moment Factory, after being the technical lead for the Society for Arts and Technology’s Satosphere until 2016. He has more than 15 years of experience in digital art and is continually honing his skills by learning new innovative software and technologies and by taking part in various types of projects.
- Laptop (Windows 7 SP1 and up; macOS 10.11 and up) with TouchDesigner 099 installed, (free on Derivative's website) - please check the system requirements to make sure your computer can run the software ;
- A 3-button mouse ;
- A USB thumb drive.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the required material.
Have some general experience and knowledge related to having created an interactive or digital arts project.
Length : 12 hours
Dates : Saturday and Sunday, October 13 and 14, from 10 AM to 5 PM
Language of instruction : English*
Instructor : Guillaume Bourassa
Training type : Hands-on workshop
Registration deadline : October 12, 2018
*The instructor is bilingual and can answer questions asked in French.
- Standard rate : 245.00 $ (tax not applicable) - Register
- Artist* or student** : 210.00 $ (tax not applicable) - Register
Alternatively, you can also register for both this intro + the intermediate TouchDesigner workshop, as part of our TouchDesigner intensive series, at a special rate :
- Standard rate : 430.00 $ (tax not applicable) - Register
- Artist* or student** : 375.00 $ (tax not applicable) - Register
Web service fees applicable for online transactions.
* For the “artist” rate, please send us a link to your portfolio or artist cv before registering; we will send you a promo code that you can then apply to your workshop fees.
** For the “student” rate, please show a valid student ID at the first session of the workshop or send us a digital version by email after registering.
CONTACT & REGISTRATION
If you have any questions, please contact us :
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
You can register for workshops online anytime, or at the SAT box office one hour before events. The box office is also open from 5 PM to 8 PM on days during which immersive shows are presented in the Satosphere.
Our team will send you all additional useful information by email with your registration confirmation.