Call for proposals of immersive works
08 Sep 2015
CALL FOR PROPOSALS OF IMMERSIVE WORKS
TIME FRAME FOR PRESENTATION : FALL 2016 / WINTER 2017
WHO CAN APPLY?
This call is open to artists of all disciplines, that have successfully completed a theory and practice-based immersive creation course at the SAT (spatialized sound or immersive visual media) or at a respected fellow organization, or that have already created one or more immersive works for the Satosphere or any other 360° digital dome environment.
Proposals from teams, in which the complementary abilities and experience of each member are demonstrated, autonomy in the creation of similar works, and flexibility in regards with the creation of the proposed work are all encouraged. The team must present a collective portfolio that shows its ability to carry out the creative project.
ELIGIBLE TYPES OF PROJECTS
All creative processes that aim to define or redefine the creation of immersive content are eligible in this call for projects.
The projects that are sought aim to create an immersive work for the Society for Arts and Technology’s [SAT] Satosphere and must put forward, in part or in whole, the distinctive features of this device, being :
- An audiovisual immersive and inclusive experience for the audience ;
- An augmented virtual environment or stage design ;
- An omnidirectional and tridimensional spatialized sound system ;
- A real-time management of audiovisual content or of interactive space ;
- A modular space and spherical screen.
Projects that add, in a distinctive way, to one or more of the elements that enrich the immersive experience for the audience by highlighting the medium’s distinctive features are also prized. Works exploring singularity and innovation in the context of the research lead by the SAT in the last couple of years on immersive experiences will also be have particular attention. The completed works must be 25 to 40 minutes in length.
PROCESS AND PRESENTATION OF THE WORK
The selected projects will be created with the objective of doing a public presentation in the SAT’s Satosphere, 1201 Saint-Laurent Blvd. in Montréal (Québec), Canada. The presentation time frame planned for projects applying to this call is approximately from September 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017 (schedule may change without notice). The SAT will provide artists whose projects have been selected an access to the immersive creation laboratory, as well as to the “Satosphere” device. Furthermore, a detailed budget and production schedule will have to be submitted along the application form.
NOTE - The SAT reserves the right to put an end to the creation or presentation of a work following its selection, during any step of the process, and to refuse to present a project considered incomplete, insubstantial, or that does not ethically comply with its policies. In such an event, the SAT could remove it completely from its programming, at any moment and without notice.
IMPORTANT DATES AND PRODUCTION SCHEDULE
- Deadline for project submission: November 15, 2015, at 5 PM ;
- Analysis of submissions and replies to the artists: end of December 2015 ;
- Meeting with the selected artists and teams: mid-January 2016 ;
- Final evaluation of the projects by the SAT: mid-February 2016 ;
- Quest/search for funding by the artist or team (if necessary): March 2016 ;
- Start of the production period: from April 1, 2016 ;
- Presentation of the work: between September 1st, 2016 and March 31, 2017.
1- Innovation : The creative project must demonstrate artistic or technologic progress in the field of immersive experience and distinguish itself through its approach and/or the originality of the exploration it offers.
2- Authenticity : The created work must be original and free from excerpts, samples, or content that is copyrighted, or taken from a previous work by the artist or others.
3- Autonomy : The artists must demonstrate autonomy in the main technical and creative aspects of the work. Only artists that have successfully completed a theory and practice-based course, approved by the immersion team, in the creation of immersive visuals and sound, are eligible. For all other creative aspects of the project (interactivity, movement, robotics, performance, stage design, etc.) the artist or team must have the necessary skills for the production.
4- Value and fees : The SAT can offer support in the form of goods and services up to a maximum value of 10 000 $CAD per project and a corresponding monetary contribution in the form of artist fees or production costs.
- Save for exceptions, in accordance with an evaluation by the artistic committee, the SAT does not cover transportation costs (flight or other) nor Per diem (food and housing) ;
- Production fees must be detailed in a budget to be submitted alongside the project proposal ;
- The SAT can, on demand, provide a letter of intent to support the selected artists in their search of funding for the production ;
- The SAT offers its support for communication fees related to the presentation of the work, its audiovisual archiving, public artist talks, and communications related to the project on its website and social media ;
- In the context of the presentation of the work, an agreement will be written for each project.
5- Coproductions and partnerships : Projects created through a coproduction with public or private organizations are encouraged. However, the work and its peripheral activities cannot be used for publicity, commercial or promotion purposes. Visibility for the coproducers or partners will be provided through the communications department of the SAT.
Each submission must include: :
- A production schedule including all steps of the project (research and creation, validation, production, communication and presentation, archiving and project report) ;
- A detailed budget. This budget must present and address to the best of the artist’s abilities each step of the production schedule by identifying all the resources needed to achieve the project**.
** The SAT will do a final evaluation of the direct costs related to the project.